March 10 2013 update to:
My experience of Networking to our
SAMIL River 5200TL-D Solar Inverter
A lot has transpired since my last post in this series and as I am getting rather a large number of hits on the information in this blog, I thought I should at-least offer a bit of an update.
The first one had version 1.02 firmware, this latest one has version 1.10 which appears to be the same as what was in the .rar file Samil supplied to do the update ... so I never attempted the update.
The feedback from R&D about your inverter is that your inverters firmware is blank for some reasons.Please update your firmware again on the inverter followed by the instruction.
So the new inverter is in and it seems to be recording generation stats reliably and not doing anything silly like rebooting multiple times etc.
Sadly however ... communication between the Samil and any recording PC system is still unusable.
It still connects only intermittently and will not remain connected for any length of time.
The new one even reached the point that I could not talk to it at all ... until I did as I describe in some detail below.
The upside is that I have figured out how to get it to use DHCP and how to get it to connect using WiFi ... albeit only for short periods!
So follows is my latest communication back to Samil with all the detail of the steps I took in my diagnosis.
If anyone has questions or comments, I'd love to hear them.
P.S. The significance of the "When Daytime" below, is because of this feedback from the R&D team ...... which sadly isn't entirely correct as the version details can be present or disappear at any time
At least, the disappear of master and slave DSP is because of the night time.During the night, the software version will disappear due to the lack of dc power.
(from a network engineers perspective I’m struggling to see how that is possible, unless the Samil imposes some sort of hop-count limit on its discovery packets, as everything is on the same subnet [192.168.0.] )
Note: DHCP on this standalone router enabled with a scope of 100~199
(Now at-least I can get the MAC address of the Samil WiFi interface so I can see if it’s appearing anywhere on the network!)
For reference the WiFi interface shows up as 00:1D:C9:01:99:99 with a Client Host Name of GainSpan019999
... “Set parameter is successed!”